Disclaimer: We may receive a commission for products purchased through some links in this article.
Best Breast Pumps Reviewed
It goes without saying that mom is a busy lady. Providing for the needs of your baby can be a real challenge, and working moms are especially capable of multi-tasking to make ends meet.
Breast feeding helps to establish the bond between mom and baby, and pediatricians recognize the many benefits of breast milk for your baby’s health and immune system. Even so, busy mom’s don’t always have the luxury of being able to breast feed along side the active demands of life and work.
Thankfully, there is a solution to the busy schedule of being mom and your work: investing in a breast pump designed for working moms.
If you have a newborn, and are looking for the best breast pump for working moms, it is difficult to overstate just how helpful a breast pump kit can be. A breast pump can allow you to provide all the health and immune system benefits of breast feeding even while you are away from your baby.
On top of that, there are incredibly compact breast pump models as well as remarkably sleek and professional carry bags that fit well with office and workplace attire.
Which breast pump will include all the features and capability that you need is going to hinge on how you intend to use it. There are a few important details to examine before you make a purchase.
We know exactly what the busy life of parenting and working is all about, and that’s exactly why we worked hard to put together a helpful review of 5 of the top breast pumps for today’s busy mom.
Check out our favorite Breast Pump
We list a few suggestions below that might shed some light on reasonable features to consider before you make a purchase. You can also jump down to the comparison chart below for quick answers and details.
Top Breast Pumps Comparison Chart
Best Breast Pump
The first breast pump that we recommend in our selection of electric breast pump reviews is the Medela Pump in Style Advanced Breast Pump, which is actually one of the best-known breast pumps on the market and the 2019 What to Expect Award winner. It is no coincidence why this is the case; it is one of the most impressive breast pumps on the market today.
This hands-free breast pump has is a double-electric model. This means that it can be used on one breast or both.
The product has been designed so the natural sucking pattern of a baby is mimicked, which is more complex than it may seem. According to the research carried out by Medela, which is one of the leading breast pump brands, there are two steps entailed when a baby breastfeeds.
The first is stimulation, which is a faster sucking rhythm that will get the milk flowing. Then, for feeding, there is a slower sucking rhythm, which is known as expression. The Medela Pump in Style Advanced has been designed to work in this way, meaning milk is produced in less time.
There are a lot of other benefits associated with adding this breast pump to your breast pumping schedule. This includes the fact that it comes in a tote that is easy to carry and very discreet. It’s been designed for use on the go thanks to the portable battery pack.
It is important to know that this is a closed system breast pump at the motor. It is not an ‘open-system’ pump. What does this mean? It means that in the event of overfilling, there is a barrier in between the pump parts and milk collection. This feature prevents milk from entering the motor and keeps the pump cleaner over time. It also makes the breast pump much easier to wash and completely sterilize.
This breast pump as a tremendous reputation and landed the top spot in our list of best breast pump for working moms for good reason. If you are in the market for a reliable option, we highly recommend the Medela Pump in Style breast pump.
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY FOR SUPERIOR PERFORMANCE: Thanks to its patented and research-based 2-Phase Expression Technology, mothers can produce more milk in less time; this breastpump was made for optimal efficiency and maximized flow
- CUSTOMIZABLE SETTINGS AND ACCESSORIES: Single knob adjustable speed and vacuum with one touch letdown button; Set of 24mm/medium size flanges allow moms to enhance their pumping experience, based on what’s most effective and comfortable
- EASY PORTABILITY: Built in to its discreet tote bag and equipped with a portable battery pack and removable cooler bag holds everything for convenient double pumping wherever and whenever needed whether at home, on the go, at work, or while traveling
- OVERFLOW PROTECTION: Closed system at the motor, which prevents milk from entering the motor. 120 VAC, 60 Hz transformer
- INCLUDES: Built-in breastpump in tote; Battery pack; Cooler bag and ice pack; (4) 5-oz. 150 mL bottles with lids; Double pumping kit: 1 set of 24mm flanges, 2 connectors, 2 valves and membranes, 1 set of tubing; Power Adaptor dual-voltage 110/240V
Next, we have the Spectra offering, which is just as impressive. However, you may not have heard about this brand before. However, the company is quickly gaining a good reputation for combining medical-grade functionality with affordability when it comes to their range of breast pumps. Plus, although this will not be the first thing you’re going to consider, it’s good to note that this breast pump looks good too. It has a streamlined design, providing portability thanks to the super-convenient handle.
This closed-system, double-electric breast pump has a digital display, which will light up, enabling you to set the rhythm and speed with ease. When you turn the breast pump off, the memory will recall where you last left off. As touched upon, this breast pump is hospital grade, and so you can be sure of an efficient and quick product that is as comfortable as possible. This is ideal for any mom who is concerned about inadequate drainage with their milk supply.
There are some other important features associated with this electric breast pump. This includes the fact that it uses rechargeable batteries, which can save you money in the long run. You get about an hour of use when the batteries are charged fully. This means you will get about two or three times of use before the batteries are drained. A lot of moms also prefer the closed system design. This makes a lot of moms feel better about the safety of the product. Plus, it tends to be quicker and easier to clean when compared with open systems.
Aside from the benefits that have been discussed so far, something else that we really liked about this breast pump is that it comes with a timer that lets you know how long you have been pumping. This enables you to keep track, rather than needing to peek into the bottle. The unit is also very portable.
And, that’s not the end! There are some other reasons why this electric breast pump made the cut. This includes the fact that you can see what you are doing during the evening thanks to the handy nightlight. Furthermore, this is one of the quieter models on the market.
- Includes: Spectra S1 Hospital Grade Double/Single breast pump, 12 volt AC power adapter, detachable power cord prongs, (2) Spectra wide neck bottle, (2) Spectra backflow protector, (2) Spectra duckbill valve, (2) Spectra tubing, (4) flange (2-24mm & 2-28mm)
- Closed system: No need to clean the narrow tubing because Spectra S1 has a closed pumping system that keeps tubing dry by preventing air flow between expressed milk and pump tubing while pumping protecting breast milk and baby from bacteria and mold
- Rechargeable battery: Spectra S1 has a convenient, inbuilt rechargeable battery
- Customizable settings: Each mother can customize her pump’s settings to her own body’s response and follow her flow to find her own best settings with the S1's completely adjustable suction and 2 phase cycling in let-down and expression mode
- Mommy owned: Spectra Baby USA is owned and run by registered nurses, board certified lactation consultants, and more importantly… by moms
Next, we have the BabyBuddha Portable and Compact Breast Pump, which is very sleek and small in size. It is certainly the smallest electric breast pump that we have come across. This makes it the ideal choice for any moms on the go, especially as it has a built-in battery, which can last for around one-hour of pumping.
One of the best things about this breast pump is that it is so easy to use. It only has one button, which may leave you wondering how you’re going to use it. However, a single button is enough because of the fact that this product utilizes track-ball technology. All you need to do is press the button to switch between expression and massage mode. You can then scroll down to decrease the strength and scroll up to increase it. Sounds good, right?
It is worth pointing out that the suction is extremely strong with this breast pump. There is no need to go past level three in expression, despite the fact that there is level nine! There is also a unique massage mode, which involves 10 short pulls that are then followed be one long pull. There is also an automatic mode, which means you do not need to switch between expression and massage mode manually.
- PORTABLE AND COMPACT: While other breastfeeding pumps are too bulky and drag you down with their weight, the BPA Free BabyBuddha double electric nursing pump is conveniently small and can be hung around your neck using the included lanyard. You can now free your hands and pay more attention to your baby as you pump.
- EXTRA-QUIET OPERATION: We’ve fitted our machine with an impressively quiet mechanism that makes for discreet and silent pumping. Freely pump without waking up your little one or drawing unnecessary attention to yourself.
- HYGIENIC DESIGN: We take the safety of your newborn very seriously. That’s why our breast milk feeding pump comes with a closed system to ensure milk doesn’t flow backward and get contaminated. The BabyBuddha infant breastfeeding pump is also BPA-free to keep the integrity of the expressed milk intact.
- EXPERIENCE THE COMFORT: No dealing with nursing pumps that result in sore nipples. Our double milk pump comes with a soft cushion that mimics a baby’s lips, an anti-backflow design that eliminates the need to lean forward while expressing, and multiple modes to massage the breast and suction the milk.
- SIMPLE TO USE: No complex controls here. Just use the trackball on the electric breastfeeding pump to easily navigate through the stimulate and suction modes. Our wearable breastfeeding pump machine is also rechargeable to keep it powered as you get things done. Click ‘Add to Cart’ now and enjoy our 100% satisfaction guarantee!
Next, we have the Ardo breast pump. This is one of the easiest breast pumps to put together and to take apart and clean as well. It only takes a few seconds to do so. The breast pump also comes with a tiny brush to help you clean it, ensuring you can get into all of the nooks and crannies.
One of the standout features of this breast pump is just how quiet it is during expressing. You won’t experience complete silence, as there is still a noise that comes from the motor. However, this sound is much less intrusive. It is probably this feature that has helped the pump to win a number of awards. This includes numerous awards from Practical Parenting & Pregnancy and Bizzie Baby, as well as the Mumsnet Best Buy award.
In addition to being quiet and easy to clean, there are a number of other benefits associated with this breast pump. This includes the fact that it boasts good suction and it is reasonably priced. In fact, if you read comments that have been left by other moms on this pump, you will notice that many remark on the value for money with this product. This is something we definitely agree on. You get a lot for your money, from massage inserts and cleaning brushes to milk collection bottles and a mains adapter. There are also some extra accessories that you can purchase too.
- 3-in-1: single electric pump, double electric pump, manual pump, with Hospital Technology, for all mothers who want to pump on-the-go; recommended by 97% of midwives; FDA-approved, BPA free
- Calypso features 64 independent vacuum and cycle settings, 3 different sizes of breast shells and the active massage insert Optiflow to ensure a comfortable, gentle and efficient pumping experience
- Vacuum Seal Technology ensures a Completely Closed System: no milk can enter the tubes or the pump; complete protection from contamination and pathogens, no cleaning of the tubes or pump necessary
- Easy-to-use breast pump with simple and intuitive controls for very gentle, yet powerful suction; portable thanks to the very light (1lb.) design and AA battery option independently of a power outlet
- Included: Calypso breast pump and pumpset, hand pump, breast shells (26/28/31mm) and Optiflow 26mm (2 each), messenger bag, cooler, 6 bottles, battery compartment, power adapter, various accessories
Last but not least, we have the Unimom Double Electric Breast Pump. This is another breast pump that is very easy to come together. It comes with straightforward and brief instructions. However, you probably won’t even need to use them, as this breast pump is very simple.
There are a number of different features that come with this double electric breast pump and make it such a good choice. It has an adjustable suction and comes with different massage modes. There are nine levels of expressing modes, as well as seven levels of massage modes. This makes pumping more efficient and comfortable. It helps to ensure the flow of milk is stimulated gently, making the process more seamless and relaxing.
You will get the complete kit when you purchase this product. This includes covers, caps, bottle stands, bottles, silicone diaphragms, tubes, valves, and breast shields. There is also a charging cord and AC adapter included. You can also purchase an optional switch kit as an added extra, which can turn the Unimom Double Electric Breast Pump into a manual pump.
This is another closed system, which is something a lot of moms prefer. It has also been certified by the FDA for multi-user use. The design is compact and ultra light too. It has a powerful performance and innovative features, which are packed into one of the smallest machines available. It only weighs seven ounces! In terms of performance, comfort, and portability, it is a great choice.
- BEST COMFORT, PERFORMANCE & PORTABILITY: The best option for nursing moms on the go or working mothers who need to express, this hospital grade pump is incredibly comfortable, super light and small as they come. Use as a single pump or double pump.
- ULTRA LIGHT COMPACT DESIGN: Innovative features and powerful performance are packed into a tiny machine that is one of the smallest available, and easily fits in your purse or diaper bag. It weighs only 7 ounces and is super lightweight.
- HYGIENIC CLOSED SYSTEM: Certified for multi user use, the back flow protection system ensures no breast milk, moisture or micro vapors can flow down the tubing into the motor. It prevents external air from contaminating the expressed breastmilk.
- COMPLETE KIT: This kit includes breast shields, valves, tubes and silicone diaphragms, as well as bottles, bottle stands, caps and covers. An AC adapter and charging cord is also included. An optional switch kit is available (not included) to turn it into a manual pump.
- ADJUSTABLE SUCTION & MASSAGING MODES: With 7 levels of massage modes and 9 levels of expressing modes it makes pumping more comfortable and efficient. It helps gently stimulate milk flow making the process more relaxing and seamless.
Top Breast Pump Features To Consider
The best breast pumps offer a “closed design” which prevent back-flow of milk into the motor. In fact, we wouldn’t recommend a breast pump that does not fofer a closed design as they are all but impossible to sterilize nad can expose your baby to bacteria, virus, or even mold. Some breast pumps accomplish a closed system that prevents back-flow at the tubing, and others simply have a closed motor and pump so the inner mechanism does not become contaminated. This is a must-have feature.
You’re likely to take a break and sit down while using your breast pump at the workplace, but nevertheless, freedom from the cord is a big plus. Power cords are only so long, so a battery powered unit adds some obvious convenience. Battery life varies depending on the unit you select, so make sure you do a little figuring if you will be relying entirely on the battery throughout your work day.
Between the pump itself, the tubing, bottles, power cord, battery, etc… there are a lot of important elements that make any particular breast pump work correctly. Some manufacturers include a professional looking carry bag with their breast pumps and others leave it up to you to find something to carry your pump and accessories with.
We also reviewed a couple of compact units that are quite small and convenient for traveling to and from work. Not only do they take up less space, but they might eliminate the need for a carry tote altogether for some moms. That is going to depend on your preferences, but compact breast pumps are definitely becoming more and more popular today.